[SHARE] Simple RSI BULL/BEAR strategy
(02-22-2018, 12:57 PM)JoshuaKeen Wrote: @tommiehansen

I'm importing a lot of data and doing a lot of backtests with your strategies.
Although this error appears:

2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Setting up Gekko in backtest mode
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO):
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Setting up:
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Trading Advisor
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Calculate trading advice
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Using the strategy: RSI_BULL_BEAR_ADX
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (WARN): TALIB indicators could not be loaded, they will be unavailable.

2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Paper Trader
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Paper trader that simulates fake trades.

2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Performance Analyzer
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): Analyzes performances of trades

2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): WARNING: BACKTESTING FEATURE NEEDS PROPER TESTING
2018-02-22 02:54:57 (INFO): WARNING: ACT ON THESE NUMBERS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
2018-02-22 02:55:11 (INFO): ====================================
2018-02-22 02:55:11 (INFO): Finished in 13.86 seconds
2018-02-22 02:55:11 (INFO): ====================================

The data is imported correctly and the backtests all give positive values. What I would like to understand is if this talib serves something in your strategies or the warning that appears is only a generic warning and my gekko is working correctly.

So ... ? You do not got the TALIB indicators installed. This has nothing to do with my strategy. It doens't even use the TALIB library.
Please ask in general help instead.
This bot has flaws but I started it when BTC/USD was at $9500 last night and it bought BTC at $9800 and still held even when BTC dropped down to like $8700 today. If you want better results I suggest you start this bot when the asset is at its very lowest instead of starting it higher. I cant imagine what sell price the bot is waiting for now after buying it at $9800.. It will be awhile and I dont know if the bot will even sell at a minor loss or minor gain or if itll try and hold past $10000
Oh ye of little faith. It'll take over 10 days for the script to get up to full speed assuming you're using 15 minute candles. Either way, using 15 minute candles and other default settings, it is currently in bear mode.
That's means for it to submit a sell order, RSI has to go above the Bear RSI High Setting of 50. It looks like it may have done this in the past hour or so, so your sell price may have been around 9100-9200.
In other words, set it and forget it. It's not going to make you moon gains overnight. I had to wait 9 days for it to make to a sell order, eventually selling at a loss of 27% - but that's ok... as long term this formula has shown moderate success. I'm only letting it play with like 5% of my portfolio anyway, until I can trust it a bit more.
(03-13-2018, 01:32 AM)jvs Wrote: Oh ye of little faith. It'll take over 10 days for the script to get up to full speed assuming you're using 15 minute candles. Either way, using 15 minute candles and other default settings, it is currently in bear mode.
That's means for it to submit a sell order, RSI has to go above the Bear RSI High Setting of 50. It looks like it may have done this in the past hour or so, so your sell price may have been around 9100-9200.
In other words, set it and forget it. It's not going to make you moon gains overnight. I had to wait 9 days for it to make to a sell order, eventually selling at a loss of 27% - but that's ok... as long term this formula has shown moderate success. I'm only letting it play with like 5% of my portfolio anyway, until I can trust it a bit more.

I honestly dont think crypto will have another bull run like in christmas. I think that was a big factor in the results of this strategy. If you take out the bull run this strategy doesnt work. I would highly suggest finding a strategy that will trade 1-5% multiple times a day instead of waiting for a bull run. The electricity to run and wait is not worth it right now.
This strategy can be modified to work that way by adjusting the thresholds, the market is bearish but earlier in this thread some guy created this strategy in tradingview, if you change the thresholds in that you can see the actual buy and sell points.
(03-13-2018, 11:53 PM)xBIGx Wrote:
(03-13-2018, 01:32 AM)jvs Wrote: Oh ye of little faith. It'll take over 10 days for the script to get up to full speed assuming you're using 15 minute candles. Either way, using 15 minute candles and other default settings, it is currently in bear mode.

I honestly dont think crypto will have another bull run like in christmas. I think that was a big factor in the results of this strategy. If you take out the bull run this strategy doesnt work. I would highly suggest finding a strategy that will trade 1-5% multiple times a day instead of waiting for a bull run. The electricity to run and wait is not worth it right now.

You do not seem to get how this particular strategy works or that different params has different outcomes?
There are a lot of combination of settings that works for the BEAR-trends as well if one actually takes the time to test it properly.
The default params is just a default that work most of the times on longer time series (meaning not a day or a week).

You seem to expect that you could just run the strategy and it would be instant profit within a day or two?
I can tell you right now that such a thing will never happen (but do feel free to share a strategy that always creates instant profits).

Also, and this is very important:
When running live make 100% sure that Gekko actually downloads the data needed, else the strategy will be stuck in BEAR-mode until there is enough data so that BULL-mode can even be considered. Your "Warmup period" needs to reflect whatever value you use for SMA_long AND you also must be certain that Gekko actually downloads the necessary data. The BEAR-mode of the strategy is by default very defensive and will nor buy or sell if RSI-values are quite low.
@big  ---
we ask you to share a strategy that provides daily and always profit
% 0.05 it can even be
Using default settings with the ADX mod on 15 minute candles, starting from the 14th January on ETH-USDT, where we can all agree the bear run for ETH started, if I gave the script $1000, I would have $1300 odd by now, where just hodling would give me $775, so a delta/profit of $525, or a net profit of 30%. For Bitcoin its similar, $1200 odd vs $700 with hodling.

A poor workman blames his tools. The strategy works fine and is one of the most consistantly profitable i have come across for such a simple stratgey.
tommiehansen

for some reason RSI_BULL_BEAR_ADX constantly drains balance with the default settings (buys on highs and sells on lows), why would it happen?

https://i.imgur.com/R0FGQm4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GNo5Qrx.jpg
Updated initial post with cleanup, Q&A and stuff.

@terry: Yes, the default are only default. Maybe try a backtest with other settings...