Candlestick Pattern Recognition ?
Do we have access to candlestick pattern recognition if the TA-Lib has been installed ?

If so how do we refer to them in a strategy development ?

From the TA-Lib:

function_names = ['CDL2CROWS', 'CDL3BLACKCROWS', 'CDL3INSIDE', 'CDL3LINESTRIKE', 'CDL3OUTSIDE', 'CDL3STARSINSOUTH', 'CDL3WHITESOLDIERS', 'CDLABANDONEDBABY', 'CDLADVANCEBLOCK', 'CDLBELTHOLD', 'CDLBREAKAWAY', 'CDLCLOSINGMARUBOZU', 'CDLCONCEALBABYSWALL', 'CDLCOUNTERATTACK', 'CDLDARKCLOUDCOVER', 'CDLDOJI', 'CDLDOJISTAR', 'CDLDRAGONFLYDOJI', 'CDLENGULFING', 'CDLEVENINGDOJISTAR', 'CDLEVENINGSTAR', 'CDLGAPSIDESIDEWHITE', 'CDLGRAVESTONEDOJI', 'CDLHAMMER', 'CDLHANGINGMAN', 'CDLHARAMI', 'CDLHARAMICROSS', 'CDLHIGHWAVE', 'CDLHIKKAKE', 'CDLHIKKAKEMOD', 'CDLHOMINGPIGEON', 'CDLIDENTICAL3CROWS', 'CDLINNECK', 'CDLINVERTEDHAMMER', 'CDLKICKING', 'CDLKICKINGBYLENGTH', 'CDLLADDERBOTTOM', 'CDLLONGLEGGEDDOJI', 'CDLLONGLINE', 'CDLMARUBOZU', 'CDLMATCHINGLOW', 'CDLMATHOLD', 'CDLMORNINGDOJISTAR', 'CDLMORNINGSTAR', 'CDLONNECK', 'CDLPIERCING', 'CDLRICKSHAWMAN', 'CDLRISEFALL3METHODS', 'CDLSEPARATINGLINES', 'CDLSHOOTINGSTAR', 'CDLSHORTLINE', 'CDLSPINNINGTOP', 'CDLSTALLEDPATTERN', 'CDLSTICKSANDWICH', 'CDLTAKURI', 'CDLTASUKIGAP', 'CDLTHRUSTING', 'CDLTRISTAR', 'CDLUNIQUE3RIVER', 'CDLUPSIDEGAP2CROWS', 'CDLXSIDEGAP3METHODS']

Any simple example would be appreciated.... 

Thanks,

TC Mabe
Hey,

Gekko documentation on TAlib indicators is not very good (and the candle indicators are not even part of the docs).

Here is an example of using the indicator cdl3inside: https://gist.github.com/askmike/655f63de...269473dfd8

Sample ouput:

Code:
             { outInteger: 0 }
             { outInteger: 100 }

The outInteger inside the result variable on will be either 1 of three values:

- 0 meaning no pattern found.
- 100 meaning pattern found upwards (bullish indicator)
- -100 (negative 100) meaning pattern found downwards (bearish indicator)

If anyone feels like improving docs for this I would love a PR! Else I'll do it eventually.
Thank you … that answers my question … They are available because TA-Lib is installed and they can be added just like any other indicator …
I like to analyze candlestick patterns at the tops and bottoms of long runs and compare them with their Fibonacci levels to see if a reversal is probable.

I was hoping this would be possible using the tools you have provided and I am glad to hear it is.

I assume a PR is a pull request … I'm just getting started with all of this but as I figure it out I will try to contribute whatever I can …
Thanks again for taking the time to reply !

TC Mabe
Quote:I was hoping this would be possible using the tools you have provided and I am glad to hear it is.

I personally have not used candle patterns before, and I haven't received much feedback from people who have.

Quote:I assume a PR is a pull request … I'm just getting started with all of this but as I figure it out I will try to contribute whatever I can …
Thanks again for taking the time to reply !

Ah yes! A PR is a pull request. But no worries if you are new to this. It would already be helpful if you try things out and report any problems you encounter. Once you feel like you learned a lot and want to share back you don't have to use github perse. You can start by creating a simple guide or something here: https://forum.gekko.wizb.it/forum-22.html

Note that it might be a bit hard to debug candle patterns, as the UI charts candles as simple lines (not full candle objects)*. And Gekko doesn't always calculates exactly the same candles as you see on trading websites (it doesn't start hourly candles at the hour for example).

* I am working on a new UI, that will be more flexible when it comes to charting so these kind of things will become easier.
You cand find an implementation of the technicalindicators lib that has this in my git - but honestly, candle reco seems to suck hard.
Thank you ... I actually ran across your repo yesterday and was planning to dive into it a bit.

What I was hoping for was to eventually be able to detect a reversal candle in the midst of a Fibonacci retracement level. Anyway thanks for the tip !