Change forum stuff
Quote:It would be simpler if a single message (or reply to a user) actually is a single message/reply to a user.

You mean when I send a reply? Or when anyone does it? Sure I'll try to do that. I got used to batching things, especially on some forums where the same user creating multiple replies is considered "bumping the topic" or inflating the conversation.
When anyone sends a reply.

Say i try to explain something to person A and then have a quick reply for person B.
That "Post A" will then be clustered with the answer for person B and thus look like the same post.
Not a problem if both these answers are short and about the same things, much more of a problem if answer A becomes really long or
one has two different posts about two entirely different things.

--

Another solution would just be to visually split it better if it's possible? Here's a sample for a quote + reply that visually looks like the same post even though both posts are about different things:

[Image: xhRjZn1.png]

Sort of odd since the visual distinction of the HR-tag just doesn't clearly communicate that this is two different entities dealing with two different things. It almost looks like i wrote a post where i decided to also add other information. I would of course not include stuff such as important updates in a post where i reply to another user regarding some sort of issue.
Ah now I see what you mean, if this is new behaviour it's from the forum theme. I'll have a look through the settings if this is configurable.
(03-15-2018, 04:01 PM)askmike Wrote: Ah now I see what you mean, if this is new behaviour it's from the forum theme. I'll have a look through the settings if this is configurable.

No, it's the same behaviour as before so doesn't got to do with the theme. Smile
Ah found it: https://community.mybb.com/archive/index...57322.html

I disabled that feature so it shouldn't happen anymore!
If I could interfere in this thread on the forum.
I find it much harder to quickly found new thread / topics on the forum with the new theme.
Even if it's overall nicer.
Quote:I find it much harder to quickly found new thread / topics on the forum with the new theme.

Do you remember what specific function you used to find those in the past? I usually click "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" at the top of every page.
on the previous theme, the forum names were bold when there was unread content, so I could quickly check there was something new in the sections I was interested in.

I didn't see there was a "view new post" link, I will give it a try !

Thanks,

Manu
ReCaptcha for the forums uses an old version and thus doesn't work = bots are coming again:

[Image: 9qDRHZe.png]

Here's a thread about this problem and how to upgrade to using v2 (which is better):
https://community.mybb.com/thread-216508...=recaptcha

btw..

This is how bots find and classify forums:

1. Create list of relevant keywords (in this case crypto, cryptocurrencies etc)
2. Use an external service such as Google Adtools Suggest to find similar (and most profitable long-tail keywords)
3. Use a tool such as Scrapebox with footprints that target specific systems such as MyBB etc and then generate search queries:
keyword 1 + "MyBB Group", 
keyword 1 + "Powered by MyBB"
keyword 2 + ...
keyword 2 + ...
4. Scrape search tools such as Google, Yahoo, Bing etc for all these keywords to get lists of url's
5. Use another tool to spam the forums that you got from #4

-

Simple stuff that can be done

1. Remove the obvious footprints like anything 'MyBB' that very simply tells someone what system is running (and thus what vulnerabilities exist)
2. Remove or change the standard signup agreement since this also is a footprint (since it is not unique on a per-MyBB install)
3. Remove the "Theme by" since this is also a footprint that could be used
4. If you find any other obvious footprints remove that as well

Just changing the "MyBB" stuff should be simple enough since it should reside within some footer somewhere or maybe even can be disabled within the admin parts of the forums.
Thanks for the headsup, fixed that now!

[Image: 37862402-c060eaca-2f7e-11e8-9f52-43fbdd4d5434.png]

Let's hope that was the reason some spambots where able to still come through in the last week.