An official Gekko service is coming soon: gekkoplus.com
Very interesting questions, definitely an eye opener to see some people worried about the service.

Before commenting on your specific concerns I want to make the following clear:

- Gekko is an open source project, this is very much core to the project, I won't be releasing any features as part of this service that are not in the Gekko you can find on github.
- I have quit my job (and freelancing activities) to work on Gekko (and Gekko Plus). I started Gekko as a hobby / sideproject a long time ago when crypto trading was not very serious and the space very small (with the leading exchange being Mt. Gox). With a few hours a week I am unable to the project going. Working on Gekko while at the same time making some money from the service will allow me to put in serious time.

Quote:I believe it is hard to gain the trust of the people that want to trade live without having a reputable company and funding backing this adventure. In many ways their money could go poof. Of course i am not talking about the general trading risks.

Just be sure that we are on the same line: it will work similar to the current Gekko where users keep their money on an exchange and Gekko merely gets access to trade this money. But yes: you are right, it will take a while to gain people's trust, but I am not in a hurry.

I am taking a different approach here than most new ventures in the crypto space. I am specifically NOT doing an ICO by raising money from the general public, I have talked to a few angels and VCs but have chosen to remain in full control by NOT raising any money from anymore. This way I can always do what (I believe) is best for the project.

Quote:Strategy-wise i believe the user expectations are very high using a paid service, meaning the current default strats just won't cut it. Probably you will have to throw in all AI, GA, machine learning into it that is ready to fly from constant backtests. If you make them customizable, like you say, you're exposing trade secrets. You know there are people selling gekko and strats.

This is exactly the problem I want to address: (open source) Gekko is a tool for people to create and experiment with strategies, as you stated the default strats are definitely not profitable. But a lot of people want profitable strategies, but lack the skills/knowledge to build them. Other people who have them don't really want to share them with anyone. This is a big incentivization problem I want to tackle. I haven't worked out the details but the gist of the service will be that it includes a market place for people to share their strategies inside the "Gekko Plus" system.

This means:

- [gekko plus] People can upload their strategies and they only have to trust me not to steal them.
- [gekko plus] Other people can run these strategies but only through the platform (no download access) under conditions set by the original author (such as a subscription fee or whatever).
- [gekko plus] To keep things fair I will build a realtime system that evaluates these strategies 24/7 to publicly share their historical results. So everyone can see whether they used to work profitably or not.
- [gekko plus] I hope we can build a community around algorithmic strategy creation, similar to something like quantopian.
- [open source gekko] Gekko will remain free and open source, nobody will be forced to use this platform and everyone will always be able to download Gekko that will NOT run via the Gekko Plus service. However the service will hopefully improve the community around strategy development AND the quality of the codebase.

Quote:I trust it will gain popularity and that might be not desired by some. What's to stop an exchange from attempting to block your service?

I am sometimes contacted by smaller exchanges to add their exchange to Gekko. I have never heard of any exchange that does not like something like this. Exchanges are mainly interested in 2 things: volume and liqudity and Gekko can provide both. Also not that Gekko never trades very aggressively. It doesn't do arbitrage or front running and it doesn't create fake walls or wash trading or any other type of market manipulation. Why do you think an exchange would want to stop Gekko or the new service?

Quote: As much as i like the idea and would want to join, i believe you should also continue improving the stand alone version. I'd pay for that too.
Given the choice i'd prefer to run it as a daemon on my own hardware. Ideally both remain with the same functionality.

And I will! I am not turning an open source project into paid software. I am simply introducing a service that will make it easier for people who:

- Have trouble installing Gekko (commandline, etc)
- Have trouble running it 24/7
- Have trouble creating or working with strategies (javascript files)
- Are limited to slow internet (or IP addresses restricted for API usage by some exchanges, eg. poloniex)

For everyone not bothered by the above, just download Gekko from Github and run it on your own server. If anything this service will allow me to improve the open source project by putting a lot more time and effort into coding!
Hey Mike,

your answer sure is appreciated. No need to explain yourself, i get it and i honestly wish you the best of luck and success.
Just remember people can be real dicks always looking for an angle to exploit things. 1st world people tend to be a little bit naive in good faith.
Case in point: People using open source code and not sharing strats.

(07-09-2018, 07:43 AM)askmike Wrote: Just be sure that we are on the same line: it will work similar to the current Gekko where users keep their money on an exchange and Gekko merely gets access to trade this money. But yes: you are right, it will take a while to gain people's trust, but I am not in a hurry.

Absolutely. The API permissions are varying, but let it put it this way: Why hack an exchange when you can hack a service with APIs for multiple exchanges that is probably much easier to penetrate?

(07-09-2018, 07:43 AM)askmike Wrote: Why do you think an exchange would want to stop Gekko or the new service?

As of now i don't really have a reason. But what if they come up with the same idea?

(07-09-2018, 07:43 AM)askmike Wrote: And I will! I am not turning an open source project into paid software. I am simply introducing a service that will make it easier for people who:

- Have trouble installing Gekko (commandline, etc)
- Have trouble running it 24/7
- Have trouble creating or working with strategies (javascript files)
- Are limited to slow internet (or IP addresses restricted for API usage by some exchanges, eg. poloniex)

For everyone not bothered by the above, just download Gekko from Github and run it on your own server. If anything this service will allow me to improve the open source project by putting a lot more time and effort into coding!

I count myself definitely among some of the points. My hope is that on a side effect the stand alone version will be easier to set up.

Do you have any payment options in mind? Will there be a beta?

Thanks!
Quote:Just remember people can be real dicks always looking for an angle to exploit things. 1st world people tend to be a little bit naive in good faith.
Case in point: People using open source code and not sharing strats.

Very true, and right now there is really no other way of doing things. You can post your strategy on the forum if you feel like sharing but that's about it. The service allows for much more since you can give access to your strategy without everyone being able to steal it and sell it through.

Quote:Absolutely. The API permissions are varying, but let it put it this way: Why hack an exchange when you can hack a service with APIs for multiple exchanges that is probably much easier to penetrate?

Well for one because hacking Gekko Plus doesn't give you any direct access to user funds. Exchanges store money (crypto as well as fiat) - Gekko Plus won't. But there are still risks of course, I think something similar happened a few days ago on binance (see here).

Quote:As of now i don't really have a reason. But what if they come up with the same idea?

I don't think this is very likely: Gekko will only bring good things to an exchange, stopping Gekko will only make all your users mad. Kraken has been struggling for a while with their UI, so when their was a third party app with a better trading interface that people liked (cryptowatch) they bought cryptowatch instead of disabling it.

Though I don't think this will ever happen with something like Gekko: automated trading is a complex and when things go wrong (for a reason as simple as bad strategies) people will blame some party, I don't think any exchange wants to be exposed to these kinds of risks.

Quote:Do you have any payment options in mind?

As much of a fan as I am of crypto it will probably start out with a standard PSP like stripe or something. As you rightly pointed out security is a big concern, for starters I want to worry about as few things as possible. I've set up hot/cold wallet systems before so I know what is involved, as such I know how much simpler integration with something like stripe is.

Quote:Will there be a beta?

Hopefully soooon!
Hey Mike,

big fan of your work. When is this service approximately launching? How much will it cost? A rough guess is totally fine.

All the best
Hi Mike,

How it is going ? I see develop channel on github is active. It looks like new stable version is coming soon Smile
This sounds great Mike! :=)

One question; does this cloud service make any difference on trading with multiple coin pairs? I mean; would it possible (or even easy) to configure system so that my Gekko bot would be all the time looking for maybe 10-20 BTC-altcoin- pairs, and if ANY of them matches my conditions, trade "all in" for that coin.

I've been trying to look for a multipair trading bot platform for months now, but without any luck :=(
Quote:One question; does this cloud service make any difference on trading with multiple coin pairs? I mean; would it possible (or even easy) to configure system so that my Gekko bot would be all the time looking for maybe 10-20 BTC-altcoin- pairs, and if ANY of them matches my conditions, trade "all in" for that coin.

Maybe in a future version, but Gekko Plus will have the same feature set as normal Gekko for the next while!
I just released the public alpha here!

It's quite static still but over the next few days I have some massive updates planned!

Link: https://app.gekkoplus.com/
News article: https://app.gekkoplus.com/news/gekko-plu...ompetition
Youtube explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyU16l6Q6c
(10-21-2018, 07:33 AM)askmike Wrote: I just released the public alpha here!

It's quite static still but over the next few days I have some massive updates planned!

Link: https://app.gekkoplus.com/
News article: https://app.gekkoplus.com/news/gekko-plu...ompetition
Youtube explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFyU16l6Q6c

Nice! Looks Great!!
I found out about Gekko 3-4 days ago, just watching for gekko plus release but are dates on this forum and youtube video wrong or is gekko plus soon coming (4months+) ? Tried to find answer on discord but nothing.