time shifted MA example
Hi all,

I can't find any code examples of where I can check time shifted MA values. For example, what an MA value was x candles back. Is this possible in Gekko? 

In Pine editor it would be written sma(close[1]) for SMA 1 candle back.

I assume it's easy, but I haven't been able to find it : ) 

Thanks for your help! 
I am also searching for this!

I found this which provides a low-tech method of picking up the price of a candle x iterations back...

(https://github.com/askmike/gekko/issues/1007)

but to reference an indicator would be better if it's possible!

I guess not (yet) from the above thread but I'm hoping the above plus popping prices off the end of the list to deal with the oom issue might get me one step further...

Hth! Smile
(09-18-2018, 10:36 PM)cubit Wrote: I am also searching for this!

I found this which provides a low-tech method of picking up the price of a candle x iterations back...

(https://github.com/askmike/gekko/issues/1007)

but to reference an indicator would be better if it's possible!

I guess not (yet) from the above thread but I'm hoping the above plus popping prices off the end of the list to deal with the oom issue might get me one step further...

Hth! Smile

Yes a little disappointing. I love what the gecko project is trying to do, but the lack of support here and on the discord group is a challenge. Maybe I offer a bounty to have someone building it for me. otherwise I'll need to look elsewhere. Thanks for the above, it's appreciated.
Quote:I can't find any code examples of where I can check time shifted MA values. For example, what an MA value was x candles back. Is this possible in Gekko?

Gekko doesn't store this data for you, but in your strategy it's easy to do it yourself (if you are familiar with javascript).

Quote:Yes a little disappointing. I love what the gecko project is trying to do, but the lack of support here and on the discord group is a challenge. Maybe I offer a bounty to have someone building it for me. otherwise I'll need to look elsewhere. Thanks for the above, it's appreciated.

You are very right, it's hard for me since I do a bulk of the work and I can't spend that much time hanging around on the forum/slack/github helping everyone out. Ideally it would be great if some people want to step up on the forum and other platforms to help out. But I'm not the best community manager.

I've made a video explaining stuff on how to create a strategy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-74ZhrG0BE

I don't answer your specific question there, but do these kind of videos help? I can make more of those.

------

The biggest problem is that I created Gekko as a "framework" to build trading bots. In a way where you only need to add your "secret sauce" to have a bot. Though that secrest sauce needs to be programmed in javascript. I decided this in 2013 when no one really cared about trading bots for crypto and it was just a small hobby project. But now there is a ton of interest from people who are not software developers.

The only solution I found for this problem is Gekko Plus: a complete service so simple that you don't need to understand any technical things anymore (installing/hosting gekko - writing strategies). But this is the other extreme to the current open source gekko where I say "you are free to do whatever you want, as long as you program it yourself".