Running Gekko as a taker
One of the web pages I've read somewhere today said something like "I hope we can run gekko as a taker soon", and as I've already done this (with disastrous results!) I thought I would share my experience here.

I am finding that whilst the papertrader buys and sells immediately at the market price the tradebot doesn't find it so easy!

So I thought I would give it a try as a taker rather than a maker.

I found the kraken API documentation and modified the kraken.js file, line 303, from -

ordertype: 'limit',

to

ordertype: 'market',

I kicked off gekko, kicked off a tradebot and walked away so I missed the carnage!

I lost 20% in 12 hours because my tradebot decided to buy high and sell low.

I guess whilst gekko is quoted a market price what you actually get when you a place a market order is the closest limit order somebody else has placed and not the actual market price that was quoted to gekko!

So... question for Mike I s'pose... in theory was that all I needed and my experiment ended as it should? Or did I miss something and maybe running as a taker could produce better results than I saw?

Also I had decided that running a machine on the ground probably wasn't any worse than running a machine in the sky (I have good Internet)... being that the standard limit orders take a while to go through... but having read the Agent X arbitrage story I am also wondering whether getting as close to the source as possible would help running as a taker?

Just interested in people's thoughts on this... particularly those who actually know what they are doing as opposed to me!! Smile

Messages In This Thread
Running Gekko as a taker - by cubit - 09-23-2018, 08:44 PM
RE: Running Gekko as a taker - by askmike - 09-24-2018, 05:20 AM
RE: Running Gekko as a taker - by cubit - 09-24-2018, 08:11 PM
RE: Running Gekko as a taker - by askmike - 09-25-2018, 04:55 AM