Upcoming Strategy Competition: win 0.1 BTC!
Super thanks   Smile
i following the contest very closely and i think all about gekko plus is very useful. As i tried to learn and setup everything by myself and i got it to work in the end but the technical aspect are just to time consuming for me as i dont have that much experience in coding and so on.

just to give my 2 Cents: i know it was the decision to rank by Strat performance alone but i think given that the pairs and markets are different for each strat in the contest should be ranked by strat performance minus market performance. as the market performance can not be influenced but the strat does.
a strat that makes less minus or even plus in a bearish market performes better than one that makes less plus then a bullish market does in my eyes. although i would not compare these two directly.

i would not care in the end as i can just choose the strat i want to "copy" but for the contest it is unfair in my eyes.
i know it will not be changed now in the running contest and i did not even submit any strats but thats just what i thought after following the contest for almost 2 weeks now.
Quote:just to give my 2 Cents: i know it was the decision to rank by Strat performance alone but i think given that the pairs and markets are different for each strat in the contest should be ranked by strat performance minus market performance. as the market performance can not be influenced but the strat does.
a strat that makes less minus or even plus in a bearish market performes better than one that makes less plus then a bullish market does in my eyes. although i would not compare these two directly.

You are very right. If I could change one thing this is what I would change. I would ranks strats according to their "alpha" (I mean the Gekko definition of alpha: profit over the market). But the rules are set in stone now and it would be lame to change them halfway through the contest.

Some context: Eventually I want to move towards more complicated scoring that takes into account all of:

Quote:- raw profit
- raw profit over market (alpha)
- results not correlated to market (beta)
- low risk
- minimum market exposure (time)

Before the contest started (and also before the market crashed the way it did) everything was steady (not changing for over a week) and the volatility difference between BTC and ETH was maybe 2%. Meaning the difference of the market wasn't really something I paid attention too. But one day before the context all the markets went crazy so now it has become super important.
I presume it fits under the risk category, but I also always like to see the percentage of profitable round trips, and averages of profitable and unprofitable RTs.
(11-29-2018, 09:15 AM)askmike Wrote:
Quote:just to give my 2 Cents: i know it was the decision to rank by Strat performance alone but i think given that the pairs and markets are different for each strat in the contest should be ranked by strat performance minus market performance. as the market performance can not be influenced but the strat does.

You are very right. If I could change one thing this is what I would change. I would ranks strats according to their "alpha" (I mean the Gekko definition of alpha: profit over the market). But the rules are set in stone now and it would be lame to change them halfway through the contest.

Some context: Eventually I want to move towards more complicated scoring that takes into account all of:

Quote:- raw profit
- raw profit over market (alpha)
- results not correlated to market (beta)
- low risk
- minimum market exposure (time)

Before the contest started (and also before the market crashed the way it did) everything was steady (not changing for over a week) and the volatility difference between BTC and ETH was maybe 2%. Meaning the difference of the market wasn't really something I paid attention too. But one day before the context all the markets went crazy so now it has become super important.

thx for the answer. yeah i get it. it would be lame now, thats right. i would not change anything while the running contest

looking forward to when the contest is over and those statistics come in play.
The contest will provide a lot of data, even though not all data is taken into account know.

I will use the contest to reflect on valuating strategies in blogposts and maybe youtube videos Smile
Quote:I presume it fits under the risk category, but I also always like to see the percentage of profitable round trips, and averages of profitable and unprofitable RTs.

Yes this is great, but if your 90% of your roundtrips are profitable with 3% profitable but 10% of the time you lose 30%, is it really that good?
(11-30-2018, 10:44 AM)askmike Wrote:
Quote:I presume it fits under the risk category, but I also always like to see the percentage of profitable round trips, and averages of profitable and unprofitable RTs.

Yes this is great, but if your 90% of your roundtrips are profitable with 3% profitable but 10% of the time you lose 30%, is it really that good?

yeah i would not calculate amount of profitable trades against non profitable. you would have to take the profit/loss % into account
Oh absolutely! I'm just saying that this is some supporting data that I like to see in a backtest result. It's not much use by itself, just as overall P/L isn't useful by itself.
I 100% agree there. The biggest struggle on this front I have is with making a screen that is nice to look at and doesn't have way too many numbers on it.