Max. amount of exchanges/pairs?
Question 
Hi all,

and thank you very much askmike for opening this forum, way to go! Big Grin 

For what I have understood, it's possible to start many runners on one Gekko instance from the "Live Gekkos"- page. But is there any limitation for the amount of pairs or exchanges, or is it just a matter of memory on the PC? I mean, could I have 10 or 50 runners at the same time, each one looking for a different coin pairs? Or even so that I have runners for 5 different exchanges, 50 pairs per each exchange etc.?
If these runners are paper trader you can have as many as you want (depending on your OS you might run into problems storing all the data on disk at the same time), however for live stratrunners it's a different story: Gekko doesn't handle multiple runners on the same (exchange) account very well.
Really, is Gekko meant for trading just one pair per account?? Why's that, where does this limitation come from? Would there be any possible way to go over this limitation, by changing "something somewhere"?

My trading method finds good trades so rarely, that I definitely would like my bot to follow maybe 30 - 50 pairs all the time.
Just to be more clear about my previous question; does this limitation for one pair come from Gekko, or from exchange or it´s API? What actually happens if I try to use multiple Gekko's at the same time for some exchange?
Is there anyone who could help me to understand this problem with multiple pairs in a bit more detail? If one Gekko would be used for live trading with multiple pairs, what would actually happen; no trades at all, false trades, or what?

And, if one Gekko can trade just one pair at a time, what if I create a script that starts 20 Gekko's, each one as on own processes, connected to the same account/API??

For what I have understood, there shouldn't be any limitations from the exchange or API side anyway..?
Still no answers here or in the Discord channel, could someone please help me a bit with this issue?

Or, if it really is 100% certain that there isn't any possible way to use Gekko with multiple pairs (even with some modifications?), is there any other good bot (platform) that could handle this? I already tried Zenbot, but it seems to be more or less designed for the built-in strategies and I would like to use a bot where I can code my own methods.
Hey!

This is not a technical limitation: Gekko is just not designed for this. I'm not sure why you would even want this? Do you want to trade 10 bots at the same time to spread risk somehow? In that case you probably want to have 1 bot that can trade 10 different currencies at the same time.

All people who I know that do this (mostly small funds and prop traders managing more than say $50k) have very specific requirements on how they want to diversify with proper hedges and such. You'd build risk models and order routing systems that can figure out how to get from coin A to coin B.

Whatever the case. You're talking about a very different kind of trade system. Gekko is very specific in what it can do, and it can't do that. Read this page to get an understanding of what Gekko is designed to do: https://gekko.wizb.it/docs/introduction/scope.html

> And, if one Gekko can trade just one pair at a time, what if I create a script that starts 20 Gekko's, each one as on own processes, connected to the same account/API??

You can do that if you want, nothing will crash or break but all profit reporting will be bad and all these bots would battle for the same funds (assuming you want to trade both BTC/ETH and BTC/BCH both bots would try to trade away all BTC leaving the other one with no funds).
Thank you for your answer Askmike! :=)

But did you mean that it actually is possible "to have 1 bot that can trade 10 different currencies at the same time" with Gekko??

Actually my need is quite simple, so maybe my previous explanation was too vague and I'll try to explain my case in more detail... I do NOT need a bot that would anyhow analyze multiple pairs to make it's decisions, so I'm not looking for any kind of a portfolio trading tool etc. I have been trading manually with few pairs for a while now, and my method is quite simple; just a combination of few basic technical indicators + a bit of support/resistance lines and that's it. But since I like to keep my risks low and I'm looking for an optimal places for trades, the trades are opened quite rarely. For example, for BTC/LTC or BTC/ETH pairs I might open just a one or two trades per month, and take profit- level is also quite low i.e. I like to close for profits as soon as possible. I'm not looking for quick profits with high risk, but for low risks trades with low but constant income.

So, since my trade method opens trades so rarely, I would need to look for dozens of pairs to make my system profitable enough in the long run, and that's quite hard to do manually. This is where I would need a bot.

And the bot shouldn't need to care about different pairs or their relationships, it should just check if my rules apply on ANY of the pairs I'm looking for, and if they do, then open a buy trade with all funds that there is available on the account. Something like;

if(availableFunds > 0)
{
for(pair = 0; pair < myPairs; pair++)
{
bool bought = checkMyMethodForPair(pair);
if(bought = yes)
break;
}
}

And, to lower my risks, I would also like to spread my coins on few exchanges and trade exactly the same method with all of them.

Did this make any sense? Is this possible with Gekko??
This makes more sense. The Gekko UI will currently stop you from starting multiple Gekkos over the same exchange but the commandline interface has no such limitation.

However do keep this in mind:

> all these bots would battle for the same funds (assuming you want to trade both BTC/ETH and BTC/BCH both bots would try to trade away all BTC leaving the other one with no funds).

We are working on a new version that has order size limits. Eg: the gekko will only trade with max 100 USD worth of coins. You would definitely need something like this to not have to worry about the problem above. This problem does not exist if:

- You use different (sub) accounts per bot.
- You trade on markets without any overlap, for example you can already run this without problems on binance on the following markets: BTC/ETH + QSP/BNB + LTC/USDT since none of the coins overlap.
But what exactly Gekko does if there isn't any funds available when the signal for opening a trade is given? Wouldn't it just ignore that trade?

I don't see a problem with this, since in my method the idea is that I'll keep my funds on ANY coin that seems to be doing better than BTC. I mean; the bot should put all funds on the first pair that fullfills my conditions, and the next trade would not be taken until that trade has been closed and funds are back in BTC again.