Adding Strategies
I’m running gekko on windows vm with bash. Can’t figure out how to add new strategies.

Can anyone help ?? Adding .js and .toml doesn't work - they don't appear in UI

I saw this: 

"You can activate your own strategy by setting config.tradingAdvisor.strategy to custom (or whatever you named your file inside the gekko/strategies) in the loaded config." 

But, No idea what that means
Think I fixed it but not a good solution:
Make change
Save
chmod -R 777 *
Restart gekko

This is prob better until a better fix is found.
In dir Gekko
chmod -R 777 strategies
chmod -R 777 config/strategies
Unfortunately this has to do with windows bash. Documentation on how to use Gekko with Windows Bash was written by a contributor who is not very active in the project anymore.

I will probably remove this documentation soon since I don't use Windows nor Windows Bash and I don't understand all quirks (like this one).
Hi askmike, you ended up not answering the question... how do we put a new strategy in the gekko ui startegy list?

Thanks
(02-09-2018, 03:03 AM)askmike Wrote: Unfortunately this has to do with windows bash. Documentation on how to use Gekko with Windows Bash was written by a contributor who is not very active in the project anymore.

I will probably remove this documentation soon since I don't use Windows nor Windows Bash and I don't understand all quirks (like this one).

Running on windows with bash is working really well now that i figured out the Master v Stable, install instructions and the permissions issue.
I'm running WSL at home laptop, no problem with this stuff.
Just copy-paste the stuff where it should be and CTRL+R the ui (reload it).

Note however that my install resides within /mnt/c/www/Gekko
...so it is a 1st class citizen within Windows. I have it that way since it's just simpler when moving files around
or editing strategies etc.
(02-09-2018, 06:09 PM)tommiehansen Wrote: I'm running WSL at home laptop, no problem with this stuff.
Just copy-paste the stuff where it should be and CTRL+R the ui (reload it).

Note however that my install resides within /mnt/c/www/Gekko
...so it is a 1st class citizen within Windows. I have it that way since it's just simpler when moving files around
or editing strategies etc.

Not the same - applies to cloud VM - Windows - Bash
(02-09-2018, 03:03 AM)askmike Wrote: Unfortunately this has to do with windows bash. Documentation on how to use Gekko with Windows Bash was written by a contributor who is not very active in the project anymore.

I had zero problems doing it, it was as hard/simple as doing git pull + npm install.

I didn't really follow the guide though. Just pulled the repo from github and installed just like i would pull and install anything.
The only thing that might be confusing is:
1. Installing node on WSL (but the current guide explains how to do it properly, i already had it installed)
2. Installing Gekko to a folder that one has access to on Windows (for easier file management, the guide completely misses this)

Here's my short guide:

1. run bash (if you don't know how google 'install bash windows 10')
2. sudo su
3. apt-get update -y
4. curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -
5. apt-get install nodejs -y
6. apt-get install build-essential -y
3. apt-get install git -y
4. cd /mnt/c/
5. mkdir www
6. cd www
7. git clone git://github.com/askmike/gekko.git
8. cd gekko
9. npm install --only=production
10. npm install tulind
11. node gekko -ui

...or just use a bash script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
apt-get update -y
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -
apt-get install nodejs -y
apt-get install build-essential -y
apt-get install git -y
cd /mnt/c/
mkdir www
cd www
git clone git://github.com/askmike/gekko.git
cd gekko
npm install --only=production
npm install tulind
node gekko -ui

All the code above could be hosted @ the Gekko repo and the install guide @ Win10 WSL could then just be to curl-install via that bash-script

0. Copy above, paste in some texteditor (e.g. notepad)
1. save as gekko_install.sh to c:/temp
2. open bash
3. sudo su
4. cd /mnt/c/temp
5. . gekko_install.sh
(yes with the period/dot and space infront of gekko.sh)

--

Run with more memory

1. run bash
2. cd /mnt/c/www/gekko/web
3. node -max-old-space-size=8096 server.js
Tommie you are more than welcome to do any of the following:

- Put this stuff in a guide here: https://forum.gekko.wizb.it/forum-22.html
- If you think the current doc can be extended: click edit here and add some information: https://github.com/askmike/gekko/blob/de...dows_10.md

Smile
Yes, i would need to do this though:

1. Create a VMWare image (or similar) of Windows 10 64-bit with bash already installed (or use existing win10 image + install bash and create new image)
2. Test

This due to the fact that i got no system that isn't already configured as a dev-environment and i would hardly like to uninstall/test stuff on these systems.
So my own systems aren't good candicates for testing install procedures, in fact they are super poor at that since they already got most stuff installed
and configured/optimized in ways that is beyond the scope of just running a default Gekko install.

I'll hunt down some win10 x64 image and test stuff, Microsoft official has one but it's 20 GB (!) and already expired + comes with a lot of dev stuff not needed at all. So need to go the more 'exotic' route.
(update: found + downloading).

I'll chime in again when i have a couple of ways of installing that is confirmed working (and is *EASY*) a couple of times.

---

Update: Installed Win10 x64 1709 (latest)
Update: Evaluating install method, modifying steps if needed (e.g. adding apt-get upgrade -y since default install = old)